Thursday, March 4, 2010

Guest Lecturer Arthur J. DiFuria, Ph.D.

This lecturer was pretty amazing. Perhaps a little one-tracked and it took a while to get going, but otherwise, splendid. He spoke on the affects of Van Hanskirk as an artist with Roman ruins in art, and his relation to these ruins. It appears that many artists, including the famous Rembrandt had some relation to this artist, whether it be by work or by friendship. Hanskirk's drawing showed "human achievement and human error." This lecture also showed how images translate into different media. For example, a sketch that was painted, and then another sketch that was later made into a print. Humor was always present in this lecture (always appreciated). It was also nice to see what kind of professors resided in Moore, since I once considered attending there myself, when I was still a Senior in high school. I am still very much happy with the choice I made to attend MCA instead, but it's nice to see that quality in professors is shared by other schools as well. This lecture was one of the better art history lectures. In the future it would be nice if we could get at least one good lecturer relating to cinema. The only semi-lecture I got to see relating to the subject, I believe was on a Saturday last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment